Thursday, February 9, 2012

The Story Behind the Rolling Chair

This is my story... This is my life... This is my experience...

As I opened my eyes, I was in a hospital bed already. There were nurses around me and a dextrose bottle hanging on my side. My family was around me, their eyes silent but anxious of how I would react to the impending news. In the center of the room stood one man, stethoscope hanging on his neck & he is intently looking at me.“Your son has polio & his lower extremities are now paralyzed.” The doctor delivered it straight to my parents without any form of embellishments. The news took time to register into my brain, then I suddenly stared back, expressionless since I’ve heard what doctor said. Finally, the message sunk into my mind, I instinctively cast a glance on my feet.
I tried to raise it up in an effort to dispute the doctor’s verdict. I urged my feet again and again for some movement. I really struggled to move it around but to no avail, it remained limp and motionless. I turned to GOD by looking at the cross & said silently, “I thought you are a kind and loving GOD. I have done nothing wrong that merits this kind of punishment. Why this? And why me?” These are the questions that never stopped echoing in my mind even until now. I cried in silence because I can’t believe why it happened.

I, Naprey Almario, would never suffer from paralyzing polio. I was born terrifically healthy on July 28, 1988 in Poblacion Sta. Maria, Davao del sur. I even experience the pleasure of my childhood. But an early age of 8, life did not exempt me from cruelty. That time I never mind about the cause of my illness, all I had in mind was “Will I get better? Can I walk again?” I was really in deep sorrow that time. I never knew how I am going to do daily activities without one of my important parts. I felt very useless & insignificant that time.For almost a year, I immersed myself in a therapy with the hope of recovery. Then one day in my life, I was literally shaken back into reality. I took a good look at myself. Yes, my legs were paralyzed, other than that; I have a perfect vision with my eyes. My hearing is excellent. I could speak fluently, which in itself was already a miracle and a blessing. I realized that GOD had been indeed so kind with me after all. I counted all my blessings & became very thankful for them. Currently, I am teaching at Holy Child School of Davao, and taking up masters in Information Technology. It has been 15years and as I look at myself right now, I could say that I’m still blessed, very much blessed. Though life seems to be crucial, but then again, the taste of life that I have is a worth living. Without or with disability, life must go on. Instead of counting your woes & tears, count your joy & smiles. Count on GOD instead of yourself.

REALITY CHECK: One’s disability is not a hindrance to one’s growth, development, & success. What able-persons can do, you also can. You just have to prove them that you could be part of the improvements.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Kuya!

    Klasmet ni ni Nap Angelo dati! Nakita nako imung blog sa iyang wall..

    Nabasa nako imung life story ya! VERY INSPIRING! Super bilib ko nimu ya! Nakita pud nko imung mga nahimu, like kadtong Project na panghatag ug school supplies....

    GOD WILL BE PLEASED WITH YOU ya!

    Amazing kaayo ka ya! ^_^

    SUPER BILIB ko nimu!


    Saludo po ako si inyo TEACHER! ^_^

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZhQOvvV45w&feature=player_embedded#!

    Share lang nako sa imuha ya! YOU'RE LIFE IS A GOOD LIFE! ^_^

    God bless you more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are blessed really sir naprey.... and will continue being blest because you acknowledge how one like you can be as blessed as you deserve...

    ReplyDelete

Instagram: @behindrollingchair